UPDATE 10/27/2013: Plant Puff Curse section "Bellum Insanus" added.
I just started this new species so this is for me to flesh them out and for people to refer to if they have any questions. Sorry if I'm not very organized I do my best ;_; Also if you adopt one you may ignore all of this and have them as a regular character with the aesthetics you purchased. It's just fun for me to do this and hopefully fun for others.
If you're curious about something I may have missed or not thought about please ask in the comments! Thank you!
Plant Puffs are creatures that have animal ears and botanical tails. Their tails are unique in that they contain the seeds of their plant. Their tails become more and more plant-like depending on the stage they're in and if the plant is ready to seed. Their civilizations tend to flourish in an array of color and varieties. When they travel, if the conditions are right, their plants will bloom in their paths.
Plant Puffs is a Closed Original Species. Meaning PLEASE do not make your own I won't allow it and I'll be very upset if you do. I use it for expenses and I've also worked hard on this species so please respect me by not copying this species. With that being said I do not own plants or animals so you're absolutely free to do your own plant/animal inspired species etc. But the whole concept of the puffs (all the information in this journal combined with the aesthetics) are my ideas.
I am not claiming that I created fluffy tails or spiky tails or plant inspired OCs or blooming abilities. This is just my version of a plant inspired species.
Bullet list of info because wtf this isn't school
- Plant Puffs begin blooming once they've hit puberty.
- They hit puberty when humans typically do.
- In more traditional communities, keeping and maintaining a large Bloom is a sign of wealth and status.
- Their tails have 4 basic stages.
- Normal (normal animal-like tail) -> Bloom (their tails produce flowers in place of fur) -> Seeding (this is where the flowers become fruit or seeds) -> Molting (their flowers die and fall off and then their fur grows back)
- For most Plant Puffs this process happens twice a year.
- During Bloom their tails lose their sense of touch.
- It's an uncomfortable experience for all Plant Puffs since their tail grows numb and it's like it fell asleep and it stays like that until it molts.
- The blood vessels and nerves slowly return towards the base of the tail and plant matter replaces the tail.
- Most Plant Puffs learn to sleep on their side or stomach because they have a plant to mind.
- A lot opt to chop off the plant parts of their tail during this time because it's too troublesome to maintain.
- Some chop off their whole tail which will regenerate back to normal when the cycle's complete.
- The Bloom's harvest is larger than normal
- A crop grown on a tail is larger and more desirable. Flowers are larger and more fragrant as well.
- However, this all relies on the health of the individual. If a Puff is unhealthy then so is their harvest.
- When they walk on soil with their bare feet they leave a trail of seedlings in their wake.
- The plants that they leave behind by walking take only an hour to mature.
- Trees take a year to reach full maturity and Plant Puff trees have an odd solid trunk (as opposed to many rings inside)
- This is only if the conditions are right for their plant. If the components in the soil, amount of water, or weather is no good the sprouts will wither up.
- Because of this, crop Plant Puffs are highly valued in their society.
- Those with aggressive or "weedy" plants...
- Are discouraged from running around barefoot.
- And running around in bloom.
- They also tend to be a target of racism within the Puffs.
- Plant Puffs are prone to diseases that target both animals and plants.
- If their animal part is cat they're prone to feline illnesses and if their plant is an ivy they're prone to ivy illnesses (That's why you don't go out in the forest and go feel up other plants wtf you don't know where that's been)
As long as you have a male and female of a Plant Puff they can reproduce.
- Puffs of different animals and plants can reproduce normal offspring.
- Hybrids can happen at a rare chance (like a shiny Pokemon) but most would not want it to happen.
- Sterile. Can never reproduce or seed successfully.
- When they walk on soil their saplings come out withered.
- Prone to health problems or dying at birth.
- If they have fruit they can be harvested from their tails in bloom or seeding but their seeds cannot grow in soil.
CURSE [Bellum Insanus]
Bellum Insanus is a curse that plagues a specific rural Plant Puff community (this community can be interpreted as modern rural or feudal period).
Little is known about the curse, only that it drives the possessor mad. Bell chimes are the only things that can soothe the afflicted Puff and so they wear them on their ears. Those driven to insanity must be calmed by priests and equipped with spiritual beads and bells to resume life. All of the cursed Puffs are encouraged to cut and shear their bloom as to prevent the spread of the curse. They also must keep their feet wrapped and covered to prevent their seeds to enter the earth.
- Off springs of cursed Plant Puffs are often inhibited by spirits and are seen as demons.
- When in Bloom they are more vulnerable to the curse and often have trouble keeping sane, even with their bells. (Blooms happen twice a year for most Puffs.)
- Examples of their instability are paranoia, dementia, misguided ideas and intentions of their god, lack of restraint, etc...
The cause of it all roots from a strange town visited by a nekomata priest:
CURSED Nekomata Priest In order to lift the stigma against twin-tailed cats (often regarded as monsters) she dedicated her life to become a priest to serve her fellow Puffs. However, in a recent expedition to a mysterious terrain they were inflicted by a curse. Nothing is known about that terrain, besides the fact that the native curse induces madness. The chimes of bells keep the cursed sane so this priest wear them beneath her ears. However, the seedlings this puff produces are riddled of the curse, causing the area to be infected and deteriorated, completely reversing the priest's life's work.
TL;DR version: This puff wants to prove people wrong about the evilness of twin tailed cats, became a priest, went to a place, got cursed, her seedlings and bloom produces cursed plants, which lead to the insanity and disintegration of a rural area inhabited by Plant Puffs.
Can I make my own Plant Puff?
Nope! Sorry! If you see "closed species" anywhere on DA that means only the creator and those they've given permission to may create the species. The concept is very personal to me and it is a source of income so I disallow the creation of Plant Puffs by the public.
Are you doing customs?
Not likely and I won't have a set price for them. I would offer auctions if anything but at the moment customs are closed indefinitely.